Today we’re discussing a topic that’s usually not talked about until it’s too late: Wedding or Romance Scams.
Yes, there are obvious signs of a scammer. For example, someone asking you to wire them money without a contract or someone emailing you out of the blue from a sketchy email. But oftentimes these individuals are much craftier and you have no idea of the scam until it’s too late! Wedding and romance scams occur often because couples are preoccupied with daily life ON TOP of trying to plan a wedding. This makes them a prime target for a scam.
There’s a lot of money to be spent in the wedding industry, and it’s important to be aware of those who may try to take advantage of that. If you're reading this post, you might be wondering:
- What are signs of a wedding scammer?
- How can I protect my assets while planning a wedding?
- Why do scammers target engaged couples?
- How do romance scams happen?
Wedding and romance scams happen all the time. There's a scammer for every person out there. So make sure you protect yourself by following the advice in today's blog AND podcast.
MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF – SAVE THIS POST SO YOU CAN COME BACK TO IT LATER!
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE NOW
Listen & subscribe on your favorite platform (search for Episode 60):
How to Avoid Getting Scammed Before You Say “I Do”
Today we’re talking about the dangers of scamming, and why scammers target newly engaged couples to take advantage of.
I have to be honest, wedding scams and how to avoid them wasn't something I thought a lot about until after meeting today's guest. But, now I'm taking extra precautions to avoid becoming a target of any kind of scams.
About Adam K. Levin, Co-Host of the What the Hack Podcast
Adam K. Levin is a consumer advocate with more than 30 years of experience and is a nationally recognized expert on cybersecurity, privacy, identity theft, fraud, and personal finance. A former Director of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, Mr. Levin is co-host of the podcast What the Hack with Adam Levin; he’s the founder of CyberScout, and co-founder of Credit.com. Adam Levin is also the author of Amazon’s Best Selling Book Swiped.
HIGHLIGHTS FOR EPISODE 60: How to Avoid Getting Scammed Before You Say “I Do”
Here's a summary of our interview:
- Meet Adam K. Levin [8:20]
- The 4 ways scammers approach you [14:31]
- What exactly are scammers trying to gain from their targets?[24:22]
- Example of “Scam stories” [29:17]
- What do you suggest couples do if they think they are being scammed? [31:03]
- Precautions to take! [34:55]
- What to do if someone is using your information?[40:30]
- Freezing credit? [48:09]
- Minimize, monitor, and manage [57:05]
- If it is convenient, YOU are the product! [59:30]
- Final thoughts? [1:07:39]
- What moments give you the most joy and are the most meaningful to you? [1:10:51]
Links Mentioned in the Episode: How to Avoid Getting Scammed Before You Say “I Do”
Connect with Adam Levin
- Instagram: @adamklevin
- Online: What the Hack
- Facebook: @loudtreemedia
- Apple Podcasts: @what-the-hack
Thank you to our podcast sponsors!
- Visit the Ask the Planner Wedding Planning Template Shop – Use the code PODCAST for 10% off your purchase!
- LoveStream – Get 10% off your virtual wedding package with my code Ask10!
- Planner's Playbook – Use my unique link so you can skip the waitlist and join ANY TIME!
Don't forget to save this post so you can come back to it again!